Every parent’s dream is to provide their children with the very best available of everything; that is one of the reasons why some parents opt for home schooling.
Home schooling was taken up initially by conservative communities and religious families, who did not believe in having contact with the outside world; this practice developed with parents whose children were/are mentally and physically challenged and could not attend traditional schools. While there are special institutions available for such children, some parents refuse to send their children to them
Home Schooling Material
As home schooling developed and many parents started to look at this option, even for children who could normally attend traditional schools, more and more home schooling material and resources started to appear on the market.
- Books on home schooling are probably the easiest home schooling material to follow and use.
- Online home schooling is a great home schooling resource, like studydaddy.com, offering advanced home schooling material from experienced teachers.
Whatever home schooling material you choose, make sure it is current (usually that is the case with online resources); as a teaching parent try to get as much data as possible in order to be able to do a good teaching job.
Home Schooling Benefits & Disadvantages
Some benefits of home schooling include:
- No early mornings
- Bonding with your child/children as they grow up instead of growing apart
- Taking charge of what your child learns
- Safety and security of your child
- Learning while teaching
While counting your benefits don’t forget to look at the disadvantages too:
- The child does not get to interact with children his age so, a parent must make special arrangements in order to ensure that the child gets to spend time and socialize with his/her peers.
- Parents overdoing the teacher’s job by being either too passive or active with the child’s homework.
- Parent’s academic capabilities – when a parent does not have the capability to enforce teaching it can turn into a disaster for both the child and parent.
A parent who chooses home schooling must try to get all the home schooling material relevant to his/her child and do the homework in order to be a good teacher. Home schooling can become like parenting, a 24 hour per day job, in the end as the child is right there at home; remember to have fun while teaching, time flies and before you know it your child is grown up, ready to face the world, armed with your lessons and teachings.